The city of Dnipro (Dnipropetrovs'k) is situated on the Dnieper River (Dnepr or Dnipro) in East-Central Ukraine and has a population of, ~ 1.2 million. Large and beautiful, it is the main city of East-Central Ukraine.
The old fortress settlement has existed since the middle of the 16th century. The new town was founded in 1776 by the Russian Prince, Potemkin by order of Catherine II, Empress of the Russian Empire and was called Yekaterinoslav (Ekaterinoslav) from 1776 to 1926. During 1918 the town's name was Sicheslav (The Glory for Sich'/Fortress of Cossacks).
Dnipro has been the major center of the steel industry from the beginning of the 20th century until the present. It has also dominated in the space building industry since the 1950s.
Today, the city is the major trade, finance and industrial center of Eastern and Central Ukraine and third city in the country by population. There are 11 universities, academies and institutes in Dnipro.
An International airport offers direct lines to and from Wien (Austria), Istanbul (Turkey), Tel Aviv (Israel), Moscow (Russia) etc.
It is the largest center of Prydniprovye (Historical region of Dnipro, part of Zaporozhye and Kirovograd regions, look Ukraine map).
Dnipro is a dynamic and lively city. The city is surprising green along the wide and slow-moving Dnieper river (Dnepr in Russian, Dnipro in Ukrainian). The city has remarkable embankments, long boulevards and spacious parks. It is also the centre of high-technology industries, education, machine-building, metallurgy and trade. The city is not only famous for its commercial industry, but also its green hills and deep history.